Tuesday, January 18, 2011

december reading challenge

The Lightning Thief

    When I first saw the movie, I was like; "Wow. This doesn't look the same as it did in my head." What the movie gave me that the book didn't were visuals. though I was a bit disappointed that they cut out some parts(like they do to most movies that were originally books), I felt like i enjoyed the movie more than the book. The reason for this, I think is that in the book, I had visualized strange images when they described the gods, Percy Jackson, his friend Grover, and Medusa. I was confused most of the time because I didn't know exactly how to visualize what Rick Riordan was talking about. this is how the movie affected my understanding of the book.


Persepolis   

    for this book, none of the visuals were affected. it was the characters. in the book, the grandma didn't play a big role. she was kind of just there, she was a meaningless character. But in the movie, the grandma was bigger, she was actually part of the Marjane's life. she talked with her, told her stories, was with her parents. she was more present. and her friends too. they were also kind of 'not there' in the movie. but in the book they were there a bit more.








To Kill a Mockingbird

    for this book, what was different was the level of understanding. if i just saw the movie, then i didn't really get the message. i got the story and what is was about, but something just wasn't clear. and since i notice that books over explain everything, (not that that's a bad thing) i got the story and everything. maybe the fact that the movie was black and white affected my understanding. i think it affected it because the book was way more interesting than the movie. so i wasn't interested in the movie as much as i was interested in the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment